UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF MOTHER EARTH
We, the peoples and nations of Earth, are – considering that we are all part of Mother Earth, an indivisible, living community of interrelated and interdependent beings with a common destiny
- gratefully acknowledging that Mother Earth is the source of life, nourishment and learning and provides everything we need to live well
- recognising that any ‘economic’ system ‘that causes and creates’ all forms of depredation, exploitation, abuse and contamination have caused great destruction, degradation and disruption of Mother Earth, putting life as we know it today at risk through phenomena such as climate change
- convinced that in an interdependent living community it is not possible to recognise the rights of only human beings without causing an imbalance within Mother Earth
- affirming that to guarantee human rights it is necessary to recognise and defend the rights of Mother Earth and all beings in her and that there are existing cultures, practices and laws that do so
- conscious of the urgency of taking decisive, collective action to transform structures and systems that cause climate change and other threats to Mother Earth
- proclaim this Universal Declaration of the Rights of Mother Earth, and call on the General Assembly of the United Nation to adopt it.
I have taken the liberty of foreshortening the text and indicate where I have edited.
The original text was coined on April 22, 2010 at the World People’s Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth in Bolivia